CHEESE & CHARCUTERIE BOARDS: HERE'S HOW TO UP YOUR GAME
Cheese and charcuterie are great for all occasions, so here we have put together our top Sussex picks to help you make a standout board!
Step one – let’s talk cheese!
It’s worth deciding what cheeses you like, there’s no point putting a stinky bishop on the board if it’s going to send you over the edge!
Next move onto a sharp cheddar or a washed rind cheese, sticking with the theme of Sussex maybe a Sussex Charmer, made by Bookhams Harrison Ford in a traditional parmesan style.
Finally, we’d suggest finishing off with a piquant blue cheese, and of course we’re going to suggest the award winning Brighton blue.
Step two – onto the meat…
We’ll leave the charcuterie up to you but of course stick with British!
Step three – accompaniments!
To top it all off, you’re going to need some good bread, crackers and a glass (or bottle!) of wine.
Lastly pickles and chutney, you can find some beautiful stuff out there. Take a look at Barties chutney for some great seasonal chutneys.
Step four – a little something extra…
Just in case your feeling adventurous here’s a recipe for our quick home pickled cucumbers which go great with cheddar and blue cheese and are bang in season.
Sweet Pickled Cucumbers
1kg Sussex Cucumbers
500ml White Wine Vinegar
150ml Cold Water
150g White Sugar
30d Maldon or Good Quality Sea Salt
2 Red Chillies Deseeded
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
1. Start by washing the cucumbers well in cold water and scrubbing your pickling jar or tub well.
2. Find a jar or tub big enough to hold the cucumbers, you can cut them down but leave as big as possible for extra crunch, pop them in ready for bathing.
3. Put all the other ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil, make sure you work quickly once it’s boiling otherwise it will change the flavour.
4. Pour your hot pickling liquor over the cucumbers and make sure they are fully submerged, add a touch more vinegar if necessary and weigh down if needed.
5. Now it’s a waiting game, you can eat the cucumbers after a few days but for best results leave for up to a month.
Thanks for reading, we hope hope you’re feeling inspired by our lovely local picks! We have linked the products mentioned so you can support your local producers whilst enjoying some top-notch British cheese and charcuterie.
Phil, Barry, Louise & The Team